Provence evidence is a key element in ensuring the authenticity of documents in evidence. Proving that the contents of a document are authentic could be critical to the outcome of a court case.
According to s.48 of the Evidence Act (NSW), the proof of contents of a document may be obtained (summarised):
- Via an admission made by another party to the proceeding as to the contents of the document in question
- Tendering a document that
- is or purports to be a copy and has been produced by a device that reproduces the contents
- is or purports to be a transcript of the words
- was or purports to have been produced by use of a device
- forms part of the records of or kept by a business